- Age Range: 4-14 years
- Years Established: 1968
- Enrollment: 220
- Average Class Size: 16 in Early Childhood classes; 22-24 in grades 1 through 8
- Tuition: 2018-2019 Tuition: Early Childhood $29,700.00; Grades 1 through 5 $30,500.00; Grades 6, 7 and 8 $32,100.00
- Who you serve: Co-ed, Elementary, Middle School, Preschool
- Address: 210 South Carolina Ave SE, Washington, DC 20003
- Zip Code: 20003
- Phone: 202-547-2244
- Website: http://www.chds.org/
- What differentiates your school from all others?
With over 300 field trips each year, our extensive and unique field education program connects the classroom with the larger world. Our community is open, inclusive, and supportive.
- Where do you see your school in 5 years, what will be different?
In 2018, we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. Any changes along the way will be made only after thoughtful consideration of how they support our mission. For over 45 years, Capitol Hill Day School has been a progressive school with passionate teachers who relate themes and concepts between subjects and over the years, from prekindergarten to 8th grade. Through our unique field education program, CHDS students will continue to explore the rich resources of the DC metro area and beyond, connecting classroom learning with the larger world. Our students, parents, and faculty will continue to reflect our commitment to diversity, and to healthy social, emotional, and physical growth, as well as the development of strong academic skills.
- Whats one myth about your school thats just not true?
Many people believe that independent schools are not affordable. Part of the mission of Capitol Hill Day School is to embrace and ensure diversity of all kinds, including economic diversity. To that end, 25% of our students receive financial aid awards ranging from $3,000 to $24,000.
- What kind of student is most successful at your school?
Children who are curious, interested in the world around them, and empathetic. Our graduates matriculate to 10 to 15 different high schools each year, succeeding academically and socially at all kinds of high schools - public and private, coed and single sex, day and boarding, independent and religion-based.
- Why should we choose your school?
Capitol Hill Day School is a progressive school for children that sparks joy in learning, encouraging curiosity, exploration, creativity, and play. We connect the classroom to the larger world, draw strength from our diverse community, and value social, emotional, and academic growth, building a strong foundation for a child's next school and for a life of purpose and value. Our 8th graders leave CHDS with an unparalleled confidence, a deep love of learning, and a genuine concern for those around them.