Washington Episcopal School challenges Early Childhood, Primary, Elementary, and Middle School students to embrace academic rigor in an appropriately balanced and supportive environment. We are a diverse, inclusive community that respects individual differences, develops every child’s unique talents, and fosters learning inside and outside the classroom. Here, children stand out without burning out.
What Makes Our School Unique
spirit of achievement
Academic rigor is balanced with child-centered focus and support. Students are well prepared for success in high school and beyond.
spirit of community
All are welcome in our diverse, inclusive, and supportive community with small class sizes taught by talented and dedicated faculty.
spirit of adventure
Field and study trips broaden world views, foster personal growth, and create thoughtful world citizens.
spirit of creativity
Visual and performance arts are abundantly integrated into the program.
Available Spots: A few openings remain in Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade.
Age 3 - Grade 8
Years Established: 1986
Average Class Size: 14
Tuition: $10,185 - $33,720
Who you serve:
Co-ed, Elementary, Episcopal, Middle School, Preschool
Washington Episcopal School believes that learning should be joyful, because academic excellence and happy children belong together. An independent, co-educational school for students from Nursery through Grade 8, WES is committed to helping every child develop his or her fullest potential. Our skilled, caring, and attentive teachers nurture the abilities and talents of each student. Our broad and enriched curriculum builds knowledge and strengthens moral awareness, self-reliance, and leadership. Our supportive community — true to Episcopal tradition — welcomes and celebrates a diversity of faiths and cultures. WES students stride confidently into the world, delight in it, and contribute to it.
- Address: 5600 Little Falls Parkway, Bethesda MD 20816
- Zip Code: 20816
- Phone: 301-652-7878
- Website: http://www.w-e-s.org/page.cfm?p=1
What differentiates your school from all others?
Washington Episcopal School(WES) challenges Early Childhood, Primary, Elementary, and Middle School students to embrace academic rigor in an appropriately balanced and supportive environment. We are a diverse, inclusive community that respects individual differences, develops every child's unique talents, and fosters learning inside and outside the classroom. Here, children stand out without burning out.
WES includes grades from Early Childhood (Nursery) through Grade 8. We believe this model best serves the educational, social, and emotional needs of our students.
Where do you see your school in 5 years, what will be different?
Washington Episcopal School has enjoyed an extraordinary growth trajectory since its founding in 1986. True to our Episcopal mission, we combine a challenging, balanced educational program with a culture of caring found in few schools. We now seek to define next steps in our school’s development. Our strategic framework reflects the newest priorities for Washington Episcopal School. During the next five years, we will focus on completing the following strategic goals:
- Fortify our Core Program
- Strengthen Marketing, Positioning, and Visibility
- Enhance Our Physical Plant
- Sustain Washington Episcopal School
This is an exciting time for our school. Our aim is to twofold: we expect to celebrate and leverage our recent progress as a school while fortifying our position as a leading independent Episcopal school in the region. We hope you will join us in this meaningful work.
What kind of student is most successful at your school?
Kind, curious, and adventurous. Washington Episcopal School is a diverse community, where the uniqueness of each member of the school is celebrated. The WES goal is to educate the whole child in order to prepare each graduate to become a citizen of the world. At WES, a diverse student body and broad based academic excellence go hand-in-hand. Classrooms present students with the opportunity to freely share a range of ideas and experiences to enrich academic, social, and moral learning.
Why should we choose your school?
Here are the top five reasons families choose WES:
1. Small, safe, and kind community. New families easily transition into the community, thanks to warm welcomes and immediate outreach from current parents. New students connect with classmates within days, not months, and families form lifelong friendships.
2. Superb preparation for secondary school, college, and life. Our graduates consistently are accepted at an impressive list of Washington-area independent high schools and national boarding schools.
3. Students stand out without burning out. WES challenges students to embrace academic rigor in an appropriately balanced and supportive environment. Exceptional teaching, small classes, and individualized attention are program hallmarks.
4. Life at WES is a constant adventure. Students challenge themselves academically, physically, and spiritually and broaden their world view. So empowered, they stride confidently into the world, delight in it, and contribute to it.
5. Speaking of striding, did we mention we love to travel? Grade 5 students complete their study of the American Civil War with an overnight visit to Antietam. Grade 6 students spend a week in the American Desert Southwest studying rock formations, erosion, and fossils; white-water rafting; and rock climbing. Grade 7 students travel to Italy for ten days spent visiting museums, exploring Greek ruins in Paestum and the Vatican in Rome, and wandering through Pompeii. Grade 8 students participate in an exchange with students in either France or Spain and forge international friendships that will last a lifetime. All trips are included in tuition.