This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DC School HUB DC School HUB 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LauraM44
    LauraM44
    Participant

A few of the schools we are looking at have different financial aid services. Do we have to fill out an application for each or do they work together?

Do any of them say we can afford more or less than the others? For example, if we apply to a school that uses TADS will it give us more money then a school that uses SSS?

Thanks,

Laura

#7325 Reply
    Profile photo of DC School HUB
    DC School HUB
    Keymaster

Laura,

Great questions!

1. Yes, if the schools you are looking at use different services then you will need to fill out multiple applications. The good news is much of the same information is required for both. You’ve got some time. Just make sure you have all your financial information ready when it’s time to complete the application.

2. For the most part the proposed award sent to the school will be the same no matter what system you use.

We hope this was helpful,

DC School Hub, FA Expert

#7333 Reply
    Profile photo of LaxMomDC
    LaxMomDC
    Participant

We probably don’t qualify for financial aid, but are there any scholarships for sports at area high schools? We haven’t officially started looking as my son is 8th grade starting this fall.

#7440 Reply
    Profile photo of Tbird3par
    Tbird3par
    Participant

Financial Aid is a joke. Please, people. If you cannot afford something, why should you get it for free or for less money. Just because you want a Ferrari doesn’t mean you deserve one and you sure as hell are not entitled to one.

I know most schools would collapse without it, but maybe it’s time to shrink the number of private schools we have and work on making the public schools a better place to educate our kids where they aren’t afraid of being bullied, mocked, ridiculed or worse.

#7581 Reply
    Profile photo of Roxanne417
    Roxanne417
    Participant

What an ignorant rant. Maybe if our country was honest as I’m sure you think it is we wouldn’t need financial aid, but that’s not the case. It evens the playing field. I won’t waste my breath going on a counter rant.

#7779 Reply
    Profile photo of NDToni10
    NDToni10
    Participant

Do schools allot a certain percentage of financial aid for minorities? We are not a minority family and I’m wondering if they take that into account or if it’s just our financials?

#7879 Reply
    Profile photo of LLGH2332
    LLGH2332
    Participant

When do most schools close financial aid? I’m looking over the process and it looks like you need to have you taxes done by February 1 or thereabouts. Do most people find this difficult to do?

#7908 Reply
    Profile photo of DC School HUB
    DC School HUB
    Keymaster

Hi NDToni 10 and LLGH2332,

Thanks so much for your questions. Please let us tackle them in one email:

Do schools allot a certain percentage of financial aid for minorities? We are not a minority family and I’m wondering if they take that into account or if it’s just our financials?

Some schools are what we called needs blind while others use financial aid for enrollment management. With needs blind financial aid your status with the school has nothing to do with your financial aid award. Simply speaking, your need for aid has nothing to do with your admission status. Other schools try to provide more aid to areas needed. For example, if there is a need for minority females in the middle school there’s a chance that more money will go to those students. Not to say that they will over give, but the budget will focus on bringing in those types of students.

When do most schools close financial aid? I’m looking over the process and it looks like you need to have you taxes done by February 1 or thereabouts. Do most people find this difficult to do?

Schools post their due dates on their websites. If you have questions I strongly suggestion contacting the financial aid department or director for advice. The process can be daunting, but it’s an important piece for schools today, so please don’t feel intimidated and certainly don’t feel ashamed to contact the right person at the schools you are applying to.

I’ve always said it’s a bit ridiculous to expect families to have there taxes done after 30 days, particularly those that own their own business. Best bet: talk to the financial aid professional at your school to see when they really need all the pertinent information.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Financial Aid
Your information: